Italian Tomato Sauce
Recipe by Chia
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 4 crushed garlic cloves
- ¾ cup chopped onion (optional)
- 1 tsp. fresh chopped oregano
- 1 tbsp. chopped basil
- 1 tsp. chopped mint
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 2 28-ounce cans of whole tomatoes
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- Before you begin, pour your two cans of tomatoes into a bowl and crush with your hand. Don’t break them up too small, you want large chunks.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot with a lid, pour in olive oil. Add red pepper flakes, garlic, onion, most of the oregano, basil and mint (save a little bit of each for the end), sugar salt and pepper. Turn on the burner and slowly turn it up to hot. When the onions and garlic start to cook, stir and heat for five minutes.
- Remove the pot from the burner and place a heat diffuser over the burner. Place the pot over the heat diffuser and add the tomatoes. Turn burner to medium high and stir until they start to boil. Then reduce to simmer, partially cover and simmer 90 minutes.
- After 90 minutes, remove from heat and add the reserved herbs and Parmesan cheese. Add the butter to round out the flavors. Stir again and serve.